SOUTHWEST ARKANSAS ELECTRIC REA TO SPONSOR WASHINGTON, D.C. TRIP
January 25, 2019
Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative will sponsor a one-week tour of Washington, D.C. on June 14-20, 2019, for up to two youths. This tour will combine education, history, and fun as the participants visit our Nation’s Capitol. The following is required from the student to qualify for the Youth Tour Contest:
· Submit an essay of at least 500 words on the 2019 topic. The paper will be prepared in similar fashion to other term papers with careful attention to spelling and the rules of grammar. Also, special attention will be given to the thoughtful development and empirical support of the thesis. The name of the student and school should be on the cover page only;
· Be a current high school junior;
· Have a parent, grandparents or guardian that is a member of Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative;
· Be acknowledged as a good student and will submit an up-to-date transcript of courses taken in high school;
· Be active in school and extracurricular activities; and
· Submit letters of recommendation from the high school principal and counselor (or favorite teacher) explaining why the student will make an exemplary Youth Tour participant.
The Youth Tour begins in Little Rock where the participants will travel to Washington, D.C. In Washington, the tour will include visits to the museums of the Smithsonian Institution, several national monuments, a boat ride along the Potomac River and other interesting activities. All travel and hotel expenses are paid for by the Electric Cooperative with the student providing his own spending money. Youth Tour information can be viewed through www.youthtour.coop; by link www.ecark.org then click on Youth/School Programs or link www.swrea.com.
All qualified students are encouraged to enter the essay contest. The first 10 amendments to the constitution of the United States are known as the Bill of Rights. The subject for the 2019 essay is: “A Review of the History Behind the Bill of Rights” accompanied by an explanation of what amendment you believe is the most important.
The essay along with the letters of recommendation should be mailed or delivered to:
Wayne Whitaker, President & CEO
Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative
2904 East 9th Street
Texarkana, AR 71854.
Essays and letters of recommendation must be postmarked no later than March 22. The winning contestants will be notified of their selection in early April. If you have any questions regarding this subject, please let us know.
Contact: Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation
Rhonda Morrow, Administrative Assistant, 870-772-2743 ext. 201 or 1-800-782-2743