Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative (REA) is a non-profit Corporation headquartered in Texarkana, Ark. District offices are located in DeQueen, Nashville, and Bradley Arkansas.
The Cooperative was organized in 1937 by a group of farmers and businessmen from Miller, Howard, Sevier, Columbia, Lafayette, and Hempstead counties in Southwest Arkansas. It has since expanded to Little River and Polk Counties in Arkansas, Bowie and Cass Counties in Texas and McCurtain County in Oklahoma.
The first 134 miles of power line were energized November of 1938 to 245 meters.
The average member had a monthly electric bill of $3.44 and used approximately 30 KWHs (kilowatt hours.)
Currently, the Cooperative has more than 4883 miles of distribution lines, 125 miles of transmission lines, 24 substations, and services 25,190 meters.
© 2019 - Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative